SEISDON & TRYSULL
THE MANOR HOUSE SEISDON
Previously known as the "Old House". Much altered over the years, no remnants of half timbering. Dated "1684 H.E.W" (Hugh & Elizabeth Wrottesly). Repaired and altered by the Banton Family late 19th Century.
Previously known as the Green Farm. Another greatly altered structure original was possibly present in the 13th Century. Cased and extended by Aston-Pudsey, the Aston-Pudsey family during the 19th Century.
Oldest part is crucked framed about 1350.(see SS Archaeo Soc Vol 27). Additions are very recent and are constructed of reclaimed materials.
About 1550. Boxed framed with later additions of a dormer windows.
House & buildings are all contemporary, dated 1746 John Smith. The Smith family substantial landowners in the parish also Orton & Wombourne.
Situated in Post Office Road. Early 19th Century farmhouse of two bays and two storeys.
Situated in Post Office Road. 18th Century brick farmhouse with fold yard and barn in front. Barns have been part demolished and part rebuilt.
Situated in Post Office Road. 17th Century sandstone crosswing added to a very much earlier timber framed building with "Spere Truss" possibly 14th Century. Now replaced with a small modern 1970's construction.
31/33 POST OFFICE ROAD
About 1750 semidetached brick built properties, but not built at the same time.
Situated in Post Office Road. Regency style Villa. about 1850.
Timber framed, brick cased and dated RS RW 1749. The site is an ancient one although not in Domesday Book. Earliest known reference 1619.
FOX INN - Blakeley
Not in Shipley as often claimed and dated 1810 A W B (Ann & William Briscow) built as a farmstead after the inclosure of Blakeley waste following Act Of Parliment of 1773.
BRIDGE - Over Smestow Brook
Road Bridge on Ebstree Road, Early 19th Century, Red brick with ashlar dressings. Three Segmental arches with alternate raised voussoirs, two keeled ashlar cutwaters and plain parapet string to coped parapet. Abutments sweep forward
Listed Buildings In Trysull
Situated in Feiashall Road. Half timbered. Dated "P.I.M 1696" Separate out building was a wheelwrights for many years then a bakery. Property also known as Little Thatch & Fieashall Cottage.
THE PLOUGH INN
Situated School Road Trysull. About late 16th early 17th Century. Box framed farmhouse with 19th Century additions including a barn no incorporated into main building.
Situated School Road. 18th/17th Century boxframed with 20 Century addition.
Early 19th Century.
Situated School Road. 18th Century. Brick construction. 1746 date is scratched onto bricks of front wall but now obscured by a creeper.
Dated 1707 J.E.K.
Situated School Road. Boxed framed construction with Regency crosswing on the front .
THE RED HOUSE
About 19th Century
Built 1854 - one of the first buildings to have a steel frame and it replaced an earlier structure. The Mill is noted in Doomsday book and was probably much further downstream, below Ovens End Bridge.
Situated in village centre. So named after the commercial concern when it was a country club and restaurant. Built at end of 19th Century by the Mander family as a village institute and was complete with a billiards room and library. It was lost to the people of the village when the deed of gift was lost or misplaced.
PORTHILLY AND BODDINICK
Situated in Trysull Holloway. 19th Century Mander Family construction. Built together with the Thatchers on a site of a previous substantial dwelling known as The Arbour or Arbour House.
Village centre. Dated 1900. Art Noveau gem built by the Mander family.
Situated on Seisdon Road. Much altered 16th Century or earlier property. Wind vane isdated 1746. Inscription on the porch quotes 1633 but this is believed to be spurious as the porch was not in existence in 1810. Suspected date is by Mander family as lettering is Art Noveau in style. Windows have painted glass segments bearing several sets of initials and date of 1589.
Back to Home Page