It is known that a church has stood on this site in Trysull for over 1000 years.
Little is visible or known of the original building but we are lucky enough to have evidence of the historical development which has taken place over the centuries to give us this lovely church
Please read the following notes about the church but better still come and visit us and attend one of our services.
Details of Church services are outlined in the section
"Church Services & Council"
INSIDE THE CHURCH
PLAN OF THE CHURCH
click on pictures to enlarge
2. On entering the church to the left of the main door is a parish chest, believed to be dated from the late 1100's. in the chest would be kept various books, parish records and vestments. This chest is reputed to be one of the finest in the country, hewn out of one tree trunk and banded with iron. It was padlocked in two places, one key was held by the priest and the other by a churchwarden.
3. Above the round tower arch at the west end of the nave area are The Royal Arms Of George III. From 1660 until the 19th century it was compulsory to display the arms of the reigning monarch in all parish churches.
4. The Font is 13th Century and is found as always at the western end of the church. In the middle ages the consecrated water was often stolen from the font because of its 'magical properties'. In 1236, by order of Edmund, Archbishop of Canterbury, all fonts had to be covered and locked.
5. The arch leading to the north aisle is thought to date back to 1250.
6. Above the inset vestry door is a stone carving of a Bishops Head. His mitre and crook are just about visible. It is certainly as old as 12th century but is rather worn as it was apparently on the outside north wall until 1905.
7. Halfway down the north aisle in the north wall is a 15th century Piscina. It is a perforated stone basin which carried away the water used to was the chalice. Today any water blessed during the Communion Service is disposed of here. Its position suggests that an alter was here, possibly dedicated to Our Lady. In 1544 eight pence was left to the church with instructions to find a priest to pray at the Lady alter for one year for the souls of Steven Dolman, his wife, his ancestors and all Christian souls.
8. Until 1843 the nave of the church extended to three bays. t he 16th century Rood Screen which had to be close paneled to a height of four feet, now at the entrance to the sanctuary, was then in two parts which were positioned to divide off the Lady Chapels, found at the eastern end of both the north and south aisles, from the rest of the church.
8a&b The two colourful windows on either side of the chancel are Victorian.
9. The East Window of curvilinear design which dates from 1340 has undergone some restoration. The saint in the left hand section and the right ( with the exception of the light restored head ) are of the original 14th century glass.
10.In the sanctuary is another old Piscina and an Aumbry ( now without its door ) which would have held communion plate.
11. The Pulpit is Jacobean. It was originally a three decker pulpit, one deck each for the minister, reader and the clerk.
12. The Arch leading to the south aisle is relatively modern but the pillar opposite the pulpit is much wider than the others as it contains part of the church wall.
13. The Frontal Chest near the pulpit steps is a modern chest, having been carved to be sympathetic to the fine work of the pulpit. In it are stored the altar frontals, of different colours, for certain parts of the church year.
14. On the south wall is a Hatchment. This is a personal shield painted on a square panel which would be hung, with its points north, south, east and west on the front of a land-owners ( in this case the Lord Of The Manor Of Trysull ) to indicate his death. After a certain time it would be transferred to the parish church.
15. Around the walls of the church are several Memorials to families whose names recur in the historical events of the village life and those who have been benefactors of the church. More recent certificates on display are for the Best Kept Churchyard, show that the church is still well loved and cared for by the present generation.
16. The Tower is one of the oldest parts of the church. By the 12th century the church had a West Tower . It was heightened and buttressed in the 15th century. Viewed from the outside, various stages of the life of the tower can be seen. Some masonary shows 12th century and early 13th century stonework, the later work now partially covered by the medieval north west and south west buttresses. The one window that lights the first floor ringing chamber and is above the roof of the vestry ( added in the angle of the tower in 1889 ) has been externally refaced but internally has a round arch in late Norman style. Before the west door was added access to the church from the outside was through the doorway now linking the vestry and tower room.
17. On the outside of the north wall is an Ancient Doorhead, the aperture is now closed. It is possible that it is Norman and has been re-sited on the occasions when the north aisle was widened and was in use until the late 19th century. Its position indicates that the levels of both the inside of the church and the churchyard have been raised over the centuries.
We very much hope that you will visit our lovely church and as you leave perhaps you might spare a thought for all who have worshiped here throughout the Centuries.
Return to Home Page